Monday, August 20, 2007

Intelligent Design?

It is a wonderful to learn that teens want to spend time with their families (I am actually returning from vacation...and pre-dating this week full of posts...with my family and have had first hand experience of spending time with my teenage children). I just wonder how Pastor Tom takes the leap to conclude that God designed families in this way. If we look to the Bible for examples we see Jesus tell us that we need to hate our families choosing only the family of God. We also have examples of great dysfunction in the families of the patriarchs. Don't get me wrong, I think that families are vital to our well-being. I also think that the biblical example of extended families taking care of each other is a fine model that we can learn from. But I also think that we need to avoid the wall-building of isolating my family against others. Remember that God's blessing of Abraham in Genesis 12 was so that all the families of the world might bless themselves by his family.

Blog you later,
Pastor Ian

0 comments: