Friday, September 28, 2007

DO I GET AN A?

I scored 18 out of 20 on Pastor's Tom's quiz, but I think he only gets barely passing marks for his lack of biblical perspective. America is not the theological equivalent of ancient Israel, although sometimes the Religious Right seems to want us to think that. Of course, if we were to consider ourselves responsible to God in our national behavior in the same way, we most certainly would need to understand the biblical mandate to care for the stranger. Providing hospitality to the sojourner remains a mandate of the first order in the Middle East to this day. When fields were harvested, the edges were to be left for gleaners to come and take care of their needs. The covenantal promise to Abraham was that God would bless him so that every family of the earth would bless themselves by the descendants of Abraham.

So I guess it is a good thing that we aren't a Christian nation so that we can ignore our neighbors and accumulate all the wealth we desire and keep it to ourselves!?!?

Blog you later,
Pastor Ian

2 comments:

The Real Music Observer said...

You get an A for effort, but you have been tardy with these follow ups, so I'm giving you a B-, because you have been a good student overall ;-).

Culture Dove said...

Well, my ISP gets a D- for service explaining my brief absence resulting in the tardiness :-(