Thursday, September 13, 2007

WAITING ROOM

Pastor Tom passes on some good advice today. It is good to provide some room between initial response and posting on a blog (whether as the author of the blog or through comments). This "waiting room" can save many a subsequent apology for hot-headed remarks by allowing things to cool and gives room for more thought-through expositions.

I admit that this blog in particular tends to be closer to a knee-jerk "thought-dump," but I do try to keep away from emotional tirades. If something at EYW pushes my buttons I'll usually wait a while before writing my post here. Still, my blog posts here don't tend to be very polished. On the other hand, my weekly columns for the local paper that I sometimes post at Culture Dove and regularly post at OpEdNews and Cross Left are intentionally crafted and edited articles that often take me more than an hour to write.

There ought to be room for both styles. Also, it is wise to question how much our egos get in the way. I realize that my ego does provide a good deal of my motivation. In the end, it is my hope that I can put the message ahead of my personal desire for recognition.

Good blog today Tom, including a reasonable explanation for why you no longer accept comments there.

Blog you later,
Pastor Ian

3 comments:

sojourner said...

Yes, yes! Some cooling off time spent in the Waiting Room is a very good idea.

The ego is an interesting force. It drives all of us in many (maybe even all?) the facets of our life. The cyber-ego is often entirely anonymous and, therefor, uninhibited. That lack of inhibition leads to those impulse off-the-cuff remarks that cause unnecessary strife.

Good post, Ian. Thanks for the links to your new blogging spots. I'll be following them and hopefully, not slip into the temptation to spend my entire day in front of the computer.

The Real Music Observer said...

Yes, wow, great advice from someone who often goes off the handle when something rubs me the wrong way. Good thing I serve a God who knows how to forgive. However, I would say that in the heat of the moment we do often say what's truly on our mind. The results can certainly not be what God intends for us.

The Real Music Observer said...

As far as Tom's advice on posting on someone's blog, it would be nice If he opened that channel up again.